First of all: WTF, Norway?
Now, I am just guessing, but one or more of these had to be factors in the decision:
1. Award ceremony’s TV ratings were falling.
2. Nobel committee wanted to get photographed with Obama.
3. Obama is so handsome, the Committee wants to take him behind a middle school and get him pregnant [Ref].
4. Will award anyone who quotes Gandhi. Yeah, still making amends for that one.
5. Committee chairman’s daughter wanted Obama’s autograph.
6. Just making sure that America doesn’t start another war.
Readers, feel free to add your own.
Update (Oct 14): Not that there is anything new about it, but I was pretty much on the mark here. It was a variation of (1), (2), and (5) above.